Wednesday 18 April 2012

snakes, thunderstorms and octopus/pi?

Lurking in the background  are a couple of other little issues--------?


Copperhead Snake Clip Art

With  being from Ireland, snakes don't normally feature highly on my worry list due to the fact that St Patrick has it all sorted over here. I was hoping to wear 3/4 length trousers for walking in Galicia and was wondering, do I need to even think about snakes when I am in Spain? or midges ,wasps, ticks and other nasties for that matter?

Lightning Strikes Tree Advice
Issue number 2- I know it rains a lot in Galicia. Now, it's not really the rain that bothers me but I never used to be particularly scared of thunder and lightning until I had a bad experience in the Netherlands a few years ago.
As I have mentioned before, St Columba spent much of his time in the NW of Ireland. One of the legends I have heard credited to him is that no-one from Derry would be killed by lightning. A few years ago whilst travelling by car from Zaandam to the Hague we had to drive through the most spectacular thunder storm I had ever seen. My 3 younger children then aged 17,14,10 were with us in the car and were terrified, especially when a fork of lightning touched down on the opposite side of the carriageway, only feet away. Truthfully, I was terrified too! but had to try and hide my fear from the children while the husband kept on driving. The best I could come up with was the story of St. Columba and his protective legend and the fact that the safest place to be in a thunderstorm is ----in a car! Quick as a flash  the oldest boy came back with - "but mum, does St Columba know we are on holiday and not in Derry?" at which point the 2 younger ones started crying again. Never been keen on thunderstorms at all since then.


choice of eating this guy or something sweet-? bring on the cake!
 Issue number 3 is totally irrational. I love the coast, the beach, the sea. I couldn't begin to imagine living far away from the ocean, however, I am absolutely terrified of all sea creatures, and as for seafood, I am definitely in the 'see food and eat it' group, that is anything except actual "sea" food. I have read so much about the fantastic seafood dishes of Galicia especially Octopus (pulpo Gallega). I have never been able to work out why I have this totally disproportionate fear that leaves me unable to even touch fish etc. I would love to try and conquer this fear while walking the "Way" but not too hopeful.
Celtic knot designCeltic knot designCeltic knot design

I am forever telling others when they are worried  about things that-

 "whatever is meant for you, will not go past you"
 I am a  great believer in God's plan for each of us.

I think I need to take my own advice and words of wisdom on these fears and stop worrying about things I have no control over. Anyway the excitement and anticipation about our walk are outweighing the worries especially since I received my Brierly's guide to the Camino this morning in the post. T

No comments:

Post a Comment