Monday 2 April 2012

7 weeks to go!

So while Grainne has been enjoying her beautiful first baby grand daughter Ciara, my walking practice has fallen by the wayside and the speed has been reduced to a  mere "dander" as they say in Derry!

It's not to say however that I still haven't been following shells, once again they appeared to remind me of our forthcoming walk in Spain following the Way of St James. I decided to venture for a few days to the beautiful mediterranean island of Cyprus, with my cousins.

We were out for a dander after our lovely meal and browsing the local shops in Paphos.  I like to collect fridge magnets- I know, strange things to collect! Especially  as my fridges are at grandchildren level and therefore are totally unsuitable for placing magnets on. My collection has now almost completely covered the side of the mini dishwasher which enjoys a raised position in my kitchen out of the reach of little hands. So in the photo you can see the latest addition to my collection A little map of Cyprus within a scallop shell.

rapidly running out of space!
 
Later in the holiday we visited some of the ancient ruins at Kourion close to Limassol and once again amongst the ruins we found the shells.





Cyprus has something for everyone, warm sunshine, beautiful coastal vistas, interesting history,great scenery, scary mountain roads, beautiful monasteries, ski slopes, great food and lovely warm friendly and helpful people.


2 of the amazing mosaics in the monastery at Kykkos in the Troodos mountains
Now we are back home and serious walking practice will recommence this week and will be accompanied by some even more serious calorie intake reduction following our trip.
Trudy

No comments:

Post a Comment