Monday 14 May 2012

the final countdown!

No longer counting weeks, it's days now! I am back on the walking trail mainly on the fairly smooth level ground. My bag is packed and the final checklist is being completed. The knee is improving but I wont be running up or down hills or  steps any time soon. I have however taken advice on trekking poles from the very experienced walkers on the Camino forum and have decided to invest in a pair of poles in an attempt to take some pressure off my knees when going up and down hill on the "Way". I just hope and can get them through airport security! If I get them out to Spain and back the husband and I will have a walking stick each when we need one.

So here are some pictures from where I have walked during the latter half of this past week.

Derry Peace Bridge at night

The City Walls

TheAtlantic Drive- looking towards Fanad and Malin Head
 Malin Head (Cionn Mhálanna) is the most Northerly point of Ireland as is located at the northern tip of the Inishowen peninsula in Southern Ireland! -the Republic of Ireland. For those of you who prefer to travel by car there is a beautiful drive known as the Inishowen 100. This circular route of 100 miles goes around the Inishowen peninsula and takes in mountains , lakes , coast, cliffs ,beaches and a host of other magnificient sites of great beauty and some fascinating historical sites.

Voted one of Ireland's Top 10 Scenic Drives in the Irish Independent 2010

It is hard to pick a favourite spot on the route out of so many but the walk from Shroove to the port-a-doris- the port of the door is a definite contender. This walk along the coast leads to a hole in the rocks that opens out into a lovely cove with very high sides and some amazing rock formations and  complete with a "wishing well" to get your wishes granted. Close by is the big white bay overlooked by Shroove lighthouse which is a European Blue Flag beach.
On a day with good visibility you can see the Western Isles of Scotland from this beach (Islay and Jura)

The Magnificient bell at the church of St John the Baptist Carrigart


Rosguill is a designated Gaeltacht region

dodging the cars on this stretch!

My Shoes following the shells on Strand Road Derry

I did attempt a walk on Sunday but have to confess the gale force winds and driving rain got the better of me and I phoned to get collected and driven home. I came across this quote later on in the evening and enjoyed the sentiment of it although I am not sure what you would have needed to wear as it was the type of day that would definitely would have been best spent beside the fire.


Alfred Wainwright (1907 – 1991)

British hill walker and author of guidebooks on the fells of the English Lake District and coast-to-coast walks

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing."

1 comment:

  1. Love that Wainright quote - too true! And thats a fab picture of the Peace Bridge xx

    ReplyDelete