Monday 7 May 2012

Another blue sky day!

I can hardly believe that the northwest corner of Ireland has been bathed in sunshine for another weekend albeit a bit cool for the month of May. My injured knee has seriously limited my activities over the past few days. My usual long beach walk was replaced by a leisurely drive over to Ards monastery for a short walk and lengthy sit in this most beautiful location looking out over the sandy beaches and crystal clear waters of Sheephaven bay.
There are lovely scenic walks around the area with many beaches and links into the Ards forest park.

www.ardsfriary.ie

When we arrived the tide was very far out and it looked as if you could almost step over to the long beach of Tra mor almost 4 miles in length and extending as far as the village of Downings (Na Dunaibh) but this is a very dangerous stretch of water with strong currents. By the time we had completed the walk and taken a rest overlooking the water the tide was already filling in very quickly. We reluctantly departed from our seat to drive back for some dinner and unusually for me we didn't stop for coffee and homebakes at the lovely coffee shop.

Feeling a bit worried again now that I hear how much training my fellow walkers are doing as they were much fitter than me to start with. However the morning rain has finally stopped and the sun is shining so I am off to walk!

Octopus for sale!

I forgot to mention that my shells were there last week in Amsterdam in the bathroom of our B & B in Landsmeer and surprisingly there were fossilised shells embedded in the stone work on the pavements in Amsterdam just like here in Derry! and what else did I see there? yes my friend the "pulpo" needless to say I did not try it out but opted for a delicious Dutch pancake instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment