Tuesday 15 April 2014

Returning to the Camino!

I knew as soon as we returned from our camino in 2012 that I would go again sometime. My daughter and my friend who walked with me talked vaguely about us returning "in a few years" perhaps when my granddaughter would be old enough to join us on our next journey. The camino experience has never been far from my mind since the last time so I was absolutely thrilled when my two older sons announced that they would like to go with me in May 2014 and the printer ink was barely dry on the flight booking when my daughter, who had accompanied me the last time and my youngest son who joined us in Santiago in 2012 announced that they and their partners would like to go! and finally my friend announced that she too had itchy feet and would love to join us again!
Austins shop  in Derry-oldest department store in the world? great for coffee and snacks when out walking and great views of the city
 

So the 8 of us with be starting from Sarria in May and training has commenced.  In recent weeks I have been enjoying walks around my home city and at the coast in Donegal doing 5-7 miles at a time along the scenic river banks, through the centre of the city and along the beaches. Yesterday my son, my granddaughter and myself did 12 miles, mostly flat terrain, so we are feeling quite pleased with our efforts.
I do however keep reminding myself that in terms of the Camino Frances, the stretch from Sarria to Santiago is less physically demanding than some of the earlier stages but for me, as a 60 something with some health issues, I found it much more physically challenging than I had expected and indeed the second day from Portomarin to Palas de Rei pushed me to my very limits in 2012.
That said it was an amazing experience and I am very happy to be going again and to have all my grown up children going with me, I am very privileged.

No comments:

Post a Comment