Friday 16 March 2012

commencement of training

Having made the big announcement, my number one son wasted no time in suggesting that I should climb Moel Famau, (the highest point in the  Clywdian range in North Wales at 1818  ft) whilst on a visit to see him and his wife and my 2  little grandsons. I thought this was a good plan but did think he was kidding me when he said he would collect me and the number 2 son at 0445 to drive to our starting point!
 http://www.moelfamau.co.uk/map/

He wasn't kidding and arrived just after 0430 and was very concerned when I announced that I planned to walk in my "Crocs" promptly insisting that I should at least take a pair of running shoes. I wasn't best pleased as taking them meant carrying them, which he kindly agreed to do! I was more concerned with taking healthy snacks, that was the  healthy cranberry juice and the not so healthy cheddars and Mars bars.

So off we went, me and my 2 oldest sons in the dark to climb the mountain. Dawn was just breaking  when we arrived at the planned carpark, which had a barrier and it was closed. Fortunately number 1 had a very detailed OS map and moved to plan B.  Exit the car, so far so good, but then the first 100 yards to the start of the trail was a near vertical climb. At that point, when they saw me struggling up the hill, I think they were regretting ever suggesting the outing, but I may be slow but I am determined so I carried on (very slowly) until the gradient became shallower and got into my stride.

I could see them exchanging concerned looks periodically and truthfully I did a couple of times myself doubt the wisdom of saying I would do the climb.I love walking, but hills and steps are not my best bits with being on the wrong side of an ideal weight  and having more than my fairshare of degenerated back, neck and knee joints.

early morning dew

nearly there!

at the jubilee tower

the mars bar


Onwards and upwards I am sure the boys would have been up to the top and down and up again if my slow progress hadn't hindered them but they were patient and allowed me to stop and admire the magnificent views and take photos while trying to catch my breath. they also kept the mars bars out of my reach with a promise of allowing me to eat it when we got to the Jubilee tower at the summit!

It quickly became apparent that the early start was a great idea. We were blessed  by an  almost completely cloudless blue sky and a perfect early morning temperature and the entire mountain to ourselves or at least that's the way it seemed. We were overtaken by just one pair of seasoned hill walkers while I had stopped once again to admire the view. It was truly beautiful and soon we could just see the jubilee tower in our sights. the "Crocs" had proven to be a good choice of footwear for comfort but possibly may not have been so good on a wet day.

At the top you could see for miles and miles and I have never had a mars that tasted so good and of course the cheddars. I felt a wonderful sense of achievement to be in such a beautiful place on a perfect day. I will never forget it, one of life's truly great experiences. I am sure the boys will remember it fondly as well although possibly for slightly different reasons, they did tell me later on that they were quite worried that the climb might have been too much for me.

Going down proved faster but nearly came a cropper a few times on the loose stones but eventually after a total distance of around 10 miles our car was in view and before we knew it we were having lattes and mcdonalds. Tired and very happy we drove to meet the rest of the gang at the greenfield park

Greenfield Valley Heritage Park Holywell Dyffryn Maes Glas

  but I have to admit I couldn't climb stairs for at least a week without a struggle. No pain, no gain!
No more  training for a least a fortnight for me. Linda and  Grainne already have the headstart on the fitness so they gave this one a miss.


No comments:

Post a Comment