Friday 16 March 2012

announcing the plan!

The Way of St James was a pilgrimage route I had heard of on several occasions throughout my years but more recently reminders of the Way seemed to be cropping up in the strangest of places.  The shells which are the best known symbol of this ancient route seemed to be following me and  I felt more and more drawn to find out more. The most recent close encounter was in the dine in for £20 st valentine's deal -there they were Coquilles St Jacques (St James's scallop) up with the starters, another sign!

I have recently retired from my job as a hospital Biomedical Scientist after 41 years and am rapidly approaching a Big Birthday so when my daughter asked me what I wanted for my 60th it didn't take me long to give my answer.  Whilst I love parties,everyone elses that is! I am not so sure about  being the subject of the party.

So, I thought, this is my chance, "Linda" I said, " for my birthday I would really like to go to Spain and walk a section of the Camino (the way of St James) but  I would prefer not to go on my own"

Without hesitation she said YES! even though she had never even heard of it. All credit to her, now she knows more about what she has actually agreed to, she still wants to go and is looking forward to it.

Like myself, my very close friend Grainne had considered the possibility of doing the "Way" and was also feeling drawn to it after a friend had completed it a while back. So the 3 of us booked the flights, and we are off to walk, live simply, enjoy the Spanish countryside and meet other walkers.

For me personally, it is a chance to reflect on my 60 years and the many good things that I can be thankful for and for the great help I have had in my life at the times when things have not been the way I would have liked. I have been blessed with a great family, great friends, good health and worked at the job of my dreams.

The icing on the cake is that my husband, my youngest son and his lovely girlfriend are all planning to arrive in Santiago de Compostela on the same day as we hope to be walking our last few kilometers making this a truly special event.

No comments:

Post a Comment