Thursday 29 May 2014

Day 2 walking - Portomarin to Palas de Rei

We decided to split this day into 3 parts taking the first stop at Gonzar where those who skipped breakfast could eat and those who had breakfast could indulge in some café con leche and cake! followed by a lunch stop in Eirexe and another cake stop at Portos especially for those of us who were partial to the tarta Santiago.

This worked very well as it gave every one in our small family group a chance to walk at a comfortable pace for at least a part of the day. I had found this day extremely challenging on my previous camino as there are a lot of long hills, not a lot of shade from the sun, no real problem with sun this time!. At the best of times I am a slow walker and struggle to keep going at a slower and steadier pace. My walking style apparently leaves much to be desired but it seems to work for me!!
It took a while for my sons who had not walked with me previously to catch on to my style which is stop and start stop again take a minute to catch my breath and start off again but they soon realised that if they kept going I kept catching them up again.
It was lovely though that each of my adult children and their partners spent time walking at my pace so I always had company. I really enjoyed being able to chat to each of them as we went along.
Leaving Portomarin in the morning
 
Decided we needed rain ponchos!
 
Portomarin was a very pretty town with a lovely square and a beautiful Romanesque church
 
 
 
Following the signs and markers on the way to Palas de Rei and the sun even came out briefly

No comments:

Post a Comment